Lack of finance and low market demand have both increased constraints on respondents' businesses since December 2002 on average. Lack of finance has had more influence than low market demand over the last quarter.
Over the last three months, growth was seen as marginally lower on average than over the previous three months ending in December.
Again, over the next three months ending June 2003, averaged growth is expected to be a little less than was expected over the quarter ended March 2003
There was general agreement between respondents to the Business Barometer and those to the Business Advisers Barometer on the two most likely causes of challenge to would- be women entrepreneurs: number one was thought to be family commitments and number two level of confidence, and in both cases access to finance came lower down the list than level of family support and degree of business experience or skill.
Listed below are extracts from feedback received in Survey BB58 March 2003.
Comments are listed under sector headings.
Views expressed are those of individual panellists and may not represent those of the University.
Production & Manufacturing
· In response to the taxation on company cars, we are offering a cash alternative to all company car drivers, the take up rate has been about 35%.
Being a press agency, the new Gulf War will hurt my business as newspaper coverage increases.
The planned American invasion of Iraq. This will have a serious negative effect on my company's sales.
· The vast majority of the self-employed are self-employed because they had / have no choice in the matter.
· In five years the manufacture base of the UK will have mostly disappeared.
· The Chancellor needs to address Red tape; NI; IPT; and a whole host more!!
· We have made great efforts to sell our services over the last three months. Our order book has expanded and we are seriously thinking of taking on additional staff. In addition we have been getting more referrals from existing customers.
· I have just learned that £7.8m extra local tax has been added to bolster the flagging index linked pension fund of all County and District employees. Our area has an increase of over 19% overall.